The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, September 23, 2013

DivaDebbi's Red Carpet Report Card- Emmy's 2014

The 65th Annual Emmy Awards

I thought it was a pretty sleepy night at the Emmy's. For me, if the opening monologue isn't funny, it usually sets the tone for the rest of the evening.

By 8:48 I was ready to make the switch to the (disappointing) finale of Dexter.  I never looked back...

The clothes were also pretty snoozy. The only hint of a trend were iced satin, shades of deep blue, blush, boring and ugly.

Hair ran the gamut from Texas County Fair to Finger Waves.  Most silhouettes were simple and unadorned of lace or beading, and jewelry, compared to the usual Brinks job, was somewhat minimal.

My Picks and Pans.

The A Team:

My FAVE:  Rose Byrn in Calvin Klein with gorgeous
 hair and makeup, though I do prefer her with darker locks.
  (This BTW was my waistline in Nursery School)



Padma Lashmi in Kaufmanfranco
(I liked the simplicity and modernity of this ice blue
satin cut out gown)
Zoey Deschanel in J. Mandel ( but with demerits
for Alabama Prom hair)




Kate Mara in J. Mendel (call me crazy--
I loved both the dress and the hair)


Beautiful Sophia Vergara in Vera Wang
(You would be flaunting it too...)



Lovely Elizabeth Moss in Andrew Gn
(Loved the side swipe platinum hair and red lip)
The B Team:
Kerry Washington in Marchesa
(she does so well on the RC I almost expected more,
and is it possible they photo shopped her head in???)

Tina Fey in Narciso Rodriguez
(So shoot me, I think she looks hippy and I much
prefer her as a dark brunette. Still and all one

 of her best efforts.  I'm rarely a fan)


Allison Williams in Ralph Lauren (channeling
Gwyneth Paltrow and the Duchess of Cambridge)
 Way too safe.
Edie Falco in Escada (Another vibrant hued
simple silhouette but I think Edie looks toned and terrific)


Colbie Smulders in J. Mandel (albeit, as
a gorgeous bridesmaid)
The C Team:
Christina Hendricks in Christian Siriano
(I'm willing to concede this is her best turn ever
on the Red Carpet. Kudos for the most improved award)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Monique Lhullier
(this just missed for me. Something about it reminded me
of a mackerel. Gym hair was disappointing too, but I
loved her speech and was delighted by her win)


Gorgeous Robin Wright in Ralph Lauren (having seen her
at her finest, after recently bingeing on a House of
Cards marathon, this was a HUGE let down)


January Jones in Givenchy (are you in there Dear?
Pretty hair and makeup paired with Nana's curtains)

The D Team:

Connie Britton in Naeem Khan (the settee
is being returned to the Hermitage today)


Jessica Pare in Oscar de la Renta
(all she is missing is Bo Peep's staff)


Julie Bowen in Zac Posen
(I like to be in Ah-mer-ee-ka...)





Pretty hair and makeup on Julianna Margulies. Toga by Reed Krakoff


The spectacular Claire Danes giving new meaning to "side boobs" with a
 "faux bob", in an ill fitting Armani Prive gown.  I still don't
 know what exactly a faux bob is... Do you???


The F Team:
(as in fire your stylist. STAT)
Anna Farris in a Canary yellow Monique
L'huillier with Canary yellow hair to match


Zosia Mamet in Honor.  It looks better in
pictures.  'Nuf said.


Lena Dunham in Prada.  In matching rose and
teal, tatts, eyeshadow and dress...I just can't.


Amanda Peet in Erdem.
Really???


Julianne Hough in Jenny Packham
for Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey





I know I missed a few, the elegant Michelle Dockery in a jarring bi-color raisin and tangerine Prada halter dress, which some loved.  Always adorable Kiernan Shipka in an age appropriate, but odd frock by Delpozo.   Do let me know.

That's all...

xox,
DD



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...