The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: Style Edit's Conceal (Root Spray)

Style Edit Root Concealer 2.0 oz. $22
I have written about temporary root concealers in the past.  The first one to hit the market was Root Rescue created by celebrity colorist Rita Hazan and I reviewed it back in April of 2011(http://divadebbi.blogspot.com/2011/04/rita-to-root-rescue.html) after my friend Linda Levy excitedly brought it to my attention.

I was thrilled with the concept of being able to spray-gray-away in between colorings. With nothing to compare to it, I thought it was pretty terrific, despite being tacky to the touch and very expensive, considering how quickly I went through it.

A little over a year later, after going through way too many $24, 1 oz. cans of Rita's Root Rescue, I decided to do some Internet research to see if any other product existed that might be more effective and less expensive.

I found it in Gray Away, a product originally marketed, "As Seen On T.V.".  I certainly never had...The packaging is not sexy, but the price was right, two 1.5 oz. cans are $19.99, plus shipping and handling.  I figured I had absolutely nothing to lose and I was, so to speak, 'spot on'. (http://divadebbi.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-gray-away-root-concealer.html#more).

I much preferred the thinner consistency, the color match was perfect, it dried instantly and stayed put.  I was surprised never to have heard from their P.R. company, since my review is what comes up after you Google them and over twelve thousand people have read it.  Eventually, I reached out to them and they thanked me by sending me one can. Thanks.

They also told me it was now widely available at retail, so I wrote a second blog and updated with the good news.  Unfortunately, I have never been able to purchase it anywhere, so I let them know I was amending my blog, so as not to disappoint my readers.

Last week, I went to get my haircut at Becker Salon in Greenwich with my amazing stylist Lucas Moura. Knowing that this week includes a visit to my star colorist Christopher Hornauer at Warren Tricomi, Greenwich, I brought my Gray Away with  me, mostly to amuse Lucas.

To my great surprise, out of the corner of my eye I saw a shelf of new product called Style Edit Conceal aka Gray Away in chicer packaging.  He was ecstatic to get started and he and Billy, Becker's Manager, ooohed and aahhed over how quickly and effectively Style Edit Conceal performed, as I played guinea pig.

It doesn't dry as quickly as Gray Away, but Style Edit's packaging certainly makes me happier.  It's $22 for 2 oz. and doesn't require shipping and handling fees, for me just a walk around the corner from work.  Happiness!

I checked out Style Edit Conceal's website and it apparently is not readily available at retail, since it requires you to email them and present yourself as a Distributor, Salon or Customer.

It's a great product, so I hope it will soon be easier to purchase.  I also think it may be the only one of the, "gray sprays" that may have a color that will work on blonds.

Today, Linda was about to take a trip up to Sephora today to buy a can of Root Rescue until she too, visits Christopher this week.  This time, I told her about Style Edit Conceal and she hopped over to Becker to buy it.  She emailed me last night.  "INSANE" was the verdict--that's a LOVE.

Beauty, full circle...

xox,
DD

10 comments:

  1. I bought Gray Away at CVS (local drugstore) and have seen it also at Walgreens and Rite Aid. It's in the "As Seen on TV" section which I thought was weird, if you look in the hair coloring section you will not find it. I bought it based on your recommendation and I agree it does a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janney,
    Thank you, I know that's the section, but I have never been successful in finding it at Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS or Bed Bath and Beyond. I think it's quite random. I'm glad you were able to find it! It is a good product.

    xo
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i wish i could find this in the Netherlands......
    x Christa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christa,
    Im not sure if Gray Away ships out of the country but you could contact them and find out.www.grayaway.com.

    To others,
    My CVS has expanded their "As Seen On TV" aisle,so for the first time, Gray Away was available at retail somewhere where I could purchase it...There were four cans. Maybe they are finally distributing on a more widespread basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DivaDebbi~ I highlight my hair blonde monthly and I am looking for something to use in between salon visits to keep my black roots at bay and preserve my hair. After reading your reviews I am still torn between Gray Away and Style Edit. Both are available for blondes now and I can easily order both on ebay - which one would you recommend! Thanks for your help on this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon,
    I'm afraid covering up black roots is much trickier than masking greys. I think the blonde sprays from either company, or Rita Hazan are intended to cover grey growth on naturalish blondes.
    I don't think this is going to do the trick. You might want to stop into a Sephora and sample the Rita Hazan for blondes...sadly Im not optimistic.

    Happy New Year!
    xo,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I am wondering if the Style Edit holds up in the rain? I live in Oregon (where it rains a lot) and am concerned about having color drip down my face if my hair gets wet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anon,
    These sprays hold up really well; rain and sweat will not leave you dripping in color. They still put until you wash them out. Personally, now that my CVS is regular stocking Gray Away, I have gone back to that. Its not only the cheapest of the three sprays I have tried, but the best.

    xo
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  9. The problem with Edit Style is that it is available at Amazon by the single can in just black and blonde. The color that I need is only sold in an assortment of four cans, all different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer Gray Away anyway Dela,
    That is readily available in for med browns and brunettes. Hope that helps!

    Best,
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...