The Clock Stops Here...

Sunday, November 6, 2011

New York New York and Sisterly Love

I love New York.  Never more than in the Spring and Fall, on clear days and crisp nights.  It literally reinvigorates my soul. 

On Wednesday night, my sister Loren and I had a sleepover.  We started our night at Bloomingdale's, at an event to benefit the Council of Fashion Designers of America. The N.Y. Times collaborated with the CFDA, to launch their 50 Photographs Collection. 5 top fashion designers, Diane Von Furstenberg, Parabal Garung, Vera Wang, Zac Posen and Michelle Smith, went through the Times archives dating back to the 1800's and each selected 10 of their favorite images. (I can't imagine how daunting it was to narrow it down to 10 pic picks).

Prabal Garung being interviewed
It was a fantastic display of memorable photographs, covering iconic shots of fashion, nature, dance and architecture.  Each designer provided commentary about what inspired them to make their selections, (though sadly, in the din of the crowd, we could hear not Bo peep). Diane Von Furstenberg's selections were my favorites and were the most synergistic, reflecting her love of modern dance and classic N.Y. architecture:

Maple Leaf Rag
Flat Iron Building NYC

All of the these memorable photographs can be purchased at www.nytstore.com/fiftyphotos A percentage of proceeds from the sale of this collection will benefit the CFDA.

After a delicious dinner at Serafina's (where we not suprisingly ordered twin dinner and drink orders)!, we strolled home past Hermes windows, until we didn't...We both stopped in our tracks to first observe these oddly futurist windows:


And then naturally, to peer inside them:


An Hermes coffee cup holder???  We knew there had to be more to this story.  Whimsy is not the word that pops into my mind when I think of the House of Hermes...A Google or two later, I found this entry on The Fabulous ReportNot surprisingly, there was much thought and purpose to the display:

RECYCLE CHIC: Trust Hermes to turn recycling into a luxury pursuit. The French house is launching a collection of objects, ranging from woven leather necklaces to customized Kelly bags, made with leftover pieces of leather and damaged goods. Under the artistic direction of Pascale Mussard, a sixth-generation descendant of the company’s founder, a workshop dubbed “petit h” (or “little h”) brings together seven of the house’s craftsmen with artists to give the objects a second life. . Priced  $70 to $70,000.

Spectacular!

The next morning, after leisurely cups of fresh ground coffee, we made our way to Bergdorf's where we again came to a halt to admire this breathtaking window, featuring Tom Ford: 


Did you evah???

We hit the second floor, to the newly expanded Shoe Salon,  which should come equipped with oxygen masks...I was literally hyperventilating. The depth and breadth of what is available is simply staggering and it is all beautifully edited. 

I had to smile when I saw these adorable Charlotte Olympia kitten flats in leopard:



I was first introduced to them in black, worn by Katy Perry, from coverage on one of my fave websites, Red Carpet Fashion Awards  Apparently, other celebs love them too:

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2011/11/02/celebrities-love-charlotte-olympia-%E2%80%98kitty%E2%80%99-flats/

Mission accomplished, Loren found a perfect pair of nude suede Jimmy Choo's. Banded in an elegant shimmering trim, it's the perfect accessory for the evening outfit she was looking to complete, yet subtle enough to wear beautifully by day.

She left me with two kisses, on the main floor, while I ogled the jewelry and planned the rest of my day...

Sisters! Tops, always...Fortunately, I also have an army of great Gal Pals, including one of my BFF's Barb,  who caught up with me later to see the Daphne Guiness exhibit at F.I.T

I'm still mesmerised and haven't quite figured out how I am going to find the words to describe it...tune in tomorrow.  I'll give it my best shot...

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...