Musings on beauty and fashion, then and now, for women of substance, style, laughter and love.
The Clock Stops Here...
Thursday, May 20, 2010
I am down to the last of my magazine subscriptions. Gone are the days when W, Vogue, Town & Country and New York Magazine, fought for space in my mailbox. Who on earth has the time anymore? I read many magazines online these days or more leisurely, while sitting in salons having something lacquered.
My Allure arrived today. I will feel a wisp of sadness when it expires, but not more than that. As much as I like Linda Wells and enjoy reading her monthly take on all things Beauty, I am bored to tears with the exact same format and features, month after month, year in year out.
I realized after finishing it from cover to cover, (in less than 20 minutes), that all the things I got excited about in this issue, were found in the ads not in the editorial content...not so good.
Here is what's on my wish list:
1) Revlon's Grow Luscious Mascara. Strengthening and lengthening??? Of course I am in.
2) Essie's Summer Collection. If they showed multiples, I'd be cutting and pasting them on my toes in between typing. Love them all, (except Pretty Edgy, which is a wee too Emerald City for my taste).
3) L'Oreal Sublime Bronze One Day. I have been tempted to buy Scott Barnes Body Bling for some time...I'm hoping this will be a cheap and cheerful replacement and I will save about $25 bucks in the process.
4) Infiniti Conair's You Curl. A clampless curling iron??? This is right up there with Penicillin. Do any of Target's stores stay open 24 hours??? I need this stat.
5) Garnier Fructis Style Anti-Humidity Hairspray...eventually the humidity will hit 90%, and I will lock and load.
6) Exuviance. An at home 25% Glycolic peel, that consists of two sets of pads, one infused with activator, the other, neutralizer. Easy peasy. I like it.
7) S-G Invisible Dry Shampoo- The last dry shampoo I used was PSSSSST. Christie Brinkley was a CoverGirl. I don't know why I need this now, (obviously I haven't missed it), but I do. Fortunately, this appeared on the second to last page.
Who knows what else Allure would have enticed me with? In retrospect, maybe I was too hard on them...they did their part. I still want...
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
You said it perfectly about Allure. I decided a few months ago to let my subscription expire. I think this issue is my last and I'm not regretting it. BORING... And for the last several years they make every cover shot look the same too- smoky eye, nude lip. Yawn! If there ever was a format to get creative and exciting that was it, but no more.ReplyDelete
It's kind of sad though, isn't it Kari? It's hard to fathom why they have never updated. Anything of interest I am sure appears on Allure.com. It does make you ponder between Blogs like ours, the economy and ecology, how many readers are letting their beauty and fashion subscriptions lapse. I think their hey day ended in 2007.ReplyDelete
I have the clipless iron and reviewed it on my blog (http://thepurplegirlsblog.wordpress.com/) It is amazing and so easy to use. I got mine at Ulta and was able to use a coupon. I have gotten so many compliments on my hair! I have never reccomended a product more to my friends. Hope you love it at much as I do!ReplyDelete
Hi Purple Girl!ReplyDelete
So glad you LOVE it! Having trouble finding it ANYWHERE at retail. Wish I had an Ulta. I think I will go on their website this minute and order it! Haven't figured out how one avoids frying your finger like chicken tenders, but it sounds like you have nailed the technique!