The Clock Stops Here...

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

DivaDebbi's Best of Beauty 2011-Eyes

I seem to be a on a very good roll with my Benefit Cosmetics picks this year.  I have no relationship with them corporately or through P.R. contacts, (sadly), but I'm just as happy when the products that I'm doling out for don't disappoint either.  Three of them made by DivaDebbi Best of Beauty 2011- Eyes list.  I hope it's not like the Academy Awards; all the great movies you saw in the beginning of the year get displaced by the ones you see in December, but after mentally and physically going through my beauty pantry, they still hold up after reviewing earlier purchases:



Benefit's Brows a-go-go  For someone who adores the art and artifice of makeup, I learned very late in the game what a difference a defined brow can make...Pretty much, wherever I was having my manicures, I would occasionally lie down for a waxing.  Once I started grooming them regularly at the Benefit Brow Bar at Bloomingdale's and learned my way around a bit of wax and powder, I never looked back.

This outstanding kit  from Benefit includes wax, two shades of brow powder, mini tweezers, a black liner pencil and two shades of highlighters; one to diffuse the brows and soften them, the other to add some pop under the arch.  I'm just at the year mark now with my kit.  Even though there is some to spare, I will treat myself to a fresh one in the New Year.  At $34 or roughly 11 cents a day, I consider I've gotten my moneys worth.


Benefit Stay Don't Stray Primer-I do believe in the power of primers, for both face and eyes.  Do you want your makeup to stay fresh looking all day?  Then you simply can't get away with missing this step. Sorry.

There are two things I love about this primer and one thing I don't.  It has a lovely creamy consistency, it's vitamin packed and the color is neither dark or light, so you are not fighting with it.  It is also intended for use not just all over the lid area, but underneath the eye before concealer.  3 dots underneath, and I find myself having to remind myself to add any at all.

My only issue is the amount that comes out with each pump...far more product than you need, so I find myself scrambling to use it elsewhere...my lips have come in handy. $26 and I wish they'd fix that pump.

Benefit's They're Real Mascara- Since the day I have first tried this mascara, I've pretty much been obsessed with it...I have to fight the urge at Sephora to tell strangers perusing other mascaras that they are simply wasting their time...Follow me.

I adore the brush, which is neither too fat nor thin, and has a slightly rounded tip, to pull lashes out of sleepy corners. The formula is almost gel like and it goes on and drys to a rich, glossy black.

I know I'll slip from time to time, and succumb to the urge to try something new to the market, but I'm fairly certain They're Real is heading for Holy Grail status. $ 24.  You're worth it and you're welcome.


Le Metier de Beaute Precision Eyeliner-  You've definitely not tried any other liquid line that gives you this much impact and control.  How do I know???  Because Mont Blanc hasn't designed another quill applicator for any other beauty company.  Want to line your eyes like a Pro??? I did. I love the finished crispness this liner delivers.  I used it only on the outer third of my lids and even on my sleepiest days it adds a certain, "je ne sais quoi". 

Available at Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman. $42.

Almay 16 Hour Eyeliner Crayon- On the other extreme, I just bought my second Almay Eyeliner Crayon.  It's super thin, so it produces a very thin line, that is also perfect for lining the upper "waterline" under the lid.  It's self sharpening, glides on and stays absolutely putuntil you deem to take it off.

This beats any long wearing eye pencil I've ever used, mass or class.
$6.99 at CVS/Pharmacy  and all major drugstores.


Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks- Despite years of trial and error, I still haven't completely mastered the art of the dark smokey eye.  It's a deft
mix of thicker liner and darker shadow on the lid, (which is contrary to my usual aesthetic of going with a thinner line and a lighter shadow), that also requires massive sweeps of well blended shadow, significantly beyond my comfort level..

Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks quickly replicate a dramatic eye, just by the sheer width of one swipe with this tapered crayon liner. It's budge-proof...so do try and get it right.  When I'm in the mood to go a bit more dramatic and glam, these are my go-to eye crayons.

Which brings me to eye shadow.  I have dozens.  Don't we all???  Here's the thing... I find them nearly indistinguishable within their own classes.  I don't think there is any measurable difference between L'Oreal, Revlon, CoverGirl, Almay, Maybelline or any other brand that line the aisles of a drugstore.  If that's your comfort zone, choose what you think is pretty.

Do I like the finely milled powders of better brands?  Absolutely.  Same deal.  Can I distinguish between my Chanel, Dior, Nars, Laura Mercier and Shiseido?  Not really.  They are all luscious.  What sells me is generally the palette, but in reality, I usually gravitate to the same shades over and over again.

I did learn this year that I just can't get the hang of cream eye shadows...too messy and by the time I go to revisit them, they have hardened into fossils.

Good God I'm pooped from these recaps and I still have to do cheeks, lips, face and skin care this week. Tune in and chime in!  I always like to hear what I'm missing.

xox,
DD

2 comments:

  1. How in the world do you take off the Benefit
    They're Real Mascara? I tried it and love it..but cannot find anything that removes it. I have tried everything! Karen/So Floa

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Karen!!!
    It is a wee challenging! Here's what I do...I take two cotton balls and soak them in warm water, apply them to my eyes to soften things up. I then use Makeup Forevers Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover, cleanse my face and if I have any residue, (and I usually do), I swipe that off with Lumene's liquid (water like) eye makeup remover. I also use waterproof liners so I know I have my work cut out for me every night.

    All and all, for me, it's worth it.

    Hope this helps! Wishing you a Happy, Healthy New Year!

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...