The Clock Stops Here...

Sunday, January 31, 2016

DivaDebbi's SAG Awards 2016 Report Card



Have the SAG's always been presented on a Saturday night? As much as I love the Red Carpet, my Saturday night plans trumped this easily...I'll bet yours did too.  It's a shame, because in reviewing the evenings fashion, there were more splendid dresses and fewer tragedies that I can ever recall. If this is the Oscar preamble, the stylists are on their A game and the mirrors the stars look in are apparently in focus. Brava!

Kudos as well to the divine Idris Elba, one of my many pretend boyfriends, who had a double win for Best Supporting Actor in Beasts of a Nation and his amazing work on the BBC police drama Luther. I'm all for them casting Elba as the next James Bond.  I think he would be fantastic in the role.  For me, a lot of the outcry over the lack of nominated black actors for the Academy Awards is not justified...I never see color, only the work. Personally, I don't think anyone deserving was excluded this year and to nominate someone for the sake of diversity seems disingenuous. Shaking the Academy up and better balancing the age, sex and race of its members??? Loooong overdue.

Off my soapbox...

I adored so many of the dresses last night. No single trend emerged, though we did see lots of women pretty in pink, shades of blue, hunter green, thigh high slits and an abundance of sleeves. Overall, the stars looked radiantly beautiful in a wide array of designers.  For the first time I have an A+ and A list, and the age of the winners spans from 16 to 70. Naturally, the F list continues in infamy, though my heart is always a little heavy for those who end up on them and the stylists, designers and looking glass that failed them.

Moving on..,
A+
Alicia Vikkander in Louis Vuitton
As always, extraordinary

Emilia Clarke in Dior Haute Couture

Eva Langoria,
Looking  sexy and toned in Julien McDonald

Naomi Watts
Stunning in Burberry (and one of my faves)

Rachel McAdams looking fit and elegant in Elie Saab

The delightful Kiernan Shipka in Erdem

Helen Mirren, crushing it in Jenny Packham

S
Soarise Ronan, demure & elegant in a pale pink beaded Michel Kors

Rooney Mara in Valentino
(I don't favor black on the RC, but I think she looks divine)

Priyanka Chopra
Ultra femme in Monique L'Hullier





Maisie Williams
I adored her choice of midcalf by Ermanno Scervino
Marisa Tomei
Elegant, in understated Zuhair Murad Couture
(A first for both of them.)

The A List:
Almost perfect; Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Tina Fey (who often looks like Prom Mom), Claire Danes, Viola Davis, Diane Lane, Sarah Hyland and the always beautiful, but insanely predictable, Sophia Vergara.

Do you think they deserved a higher mark???

The F List:

There, there Darlings... all is forgiven, just not forgotten.

Gaby Hoffman
I wish she had opted for a more traditional length, just so we would
have been spared the jade suede clogs

Sola Bamis...a very busy bee

 Betty Draper would not be caught dead in this... Literally.
The satin version of her Game of Thrones armor, sans sword
that she looks infinitely more comfortable in

Julianne Moore in a midriff baring lettuce wrap
Joanna Froggat is another perennial on my worst dressed list
Didn't any of those years of dressing the exquisite Lady Mary pay off???

Nicole Kidman in Gucci for Ringling Brothers

The lovely Christina Hendricks is a perennial on my F List.
Why, oh why does she always look Marie Antoinette at Madame Tussaud's???
I contemplated publishing my cell phone. I offer all of my services to
you, on my dime for the Emmy's. DivaDebbi@gmail.com



Lori Petty
I think she's pulling our chain.
Why would anyone want to look like Billy the Kid in Mary Kay Pink,
if not for shi*ts and giggles?


So my loyal lovelies, there you have it...Who did you love and who did you loathe? Who did I miss fab and flop???

Always fun to recap for you and looking forward to the the Oscar's, less than a month away!

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...