The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, January 21, 2013

Michelle Obama in Wu 2: The Lady in Red

President and Mrs. Obama at the Inaugural Ball
Mrs. Obama in Jason Wu...again

Fashion pundits were agog that Michelle Obama chose another Jason Wu gown to wear to her second Inaugural Ball celebration.  In yesterday's blog, I didn't rule it out.

Four years ago, she catapulted Jason Wu into the fashion stratosphere.  Speculation was that she would do the same for another young designer tonight, but perhaps she already accomplished that earlier by choosing Thom Browne, primarily known as a menswear designer, to create her daytime ensemble.

Ultimately, I think the explanation is simple: Naturally she would have invited Mr. Wu to submit a gown for her to choose from, out of respect and friendship. I believe there were 15 designers in total.  Fashion politics aside, Mrs. O. must have felt this dress was the prettiest and most flattering on her. Period.

There is no denying that this gown is beautiful and Michelle Obama looks spectacular!  I love the radiant mix of chiffon and ruby velvet. Naturally it was belted...

I much prefer it to his first gown.


I adore her new hairstyle which I think looks both fresh and glam.  Anyone whose arms are as buff as Michelle's has every right to show them off, though I thought it might be fun to shake it up a bit.   I know she is wearing one of my favorite jewelry designers Kimberly McDonald's rings, but I'm not clear whether it is on her finger, or whether it is the fastener on the top of her gown.

Kimberly McDonald's jewelry is inspired by nature.  She uses agates, geodes, baroque pearls, untreated diamonds and emeralds to amazing effect, often set in wood or gold.  I often feature them in my Polyvore sets because they always feel both luxe and modern.  Je adore!

Kimberly McDonald Fire Opal, Baroque Pearl and Diamond Ring



I think the First Family looked smashing on their way to the swearing in ceremony  this morning. Sasha and Malia looked adorable in their off the rack J. Crew ensemble.  Michelle Obama knocked it out of the park in a Thom Browne dress and coat ensemble inspired by a mans tie and highlighted with a jeweled J. Crew Belt.  I saw a few shots wear she switched into tall boot in place of these pearl grey kitten heel shoes and I thought it looked sleeker.

I think they did America proud today.

xox,
DD


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...