The Clock Stops Here...

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Spot Remover: Lumixyl is a Clear Winner

One of the unexpected displeasure's that sometimes result from professional attempts to remove ages spots is "post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation".  What exactly does this mean???  In a nutshell, your treatment backfired and your worse off than when you started....big SIGH.  Ya.  That's what happened to me.

I attempted to remove three small age spots from my cheek with Liquid Nitrogen at my Dermatologists office.  I had done it once before, about five years and presto, 6 days later, clean and clear.  This time, I was not so lucky.

When I received a 4 part brightening system from LumixylI started using it that night.  The only thing I had to lose were my spots...which, by the way, I was plenty cranky about.




Here's how Lumixyl is described:

"Lumixyl™ is a revolutionary peptide technology developed by researchers at Stanford University (I like the big guns) to improve the appearance of hyperpigmentation, including:
  • Age spots
  • Sun Spots
  • Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (moi)
  • Uneven skin tone
  • Photodamage
Preliminary clinical results are being evaluated in large confirmatory trials and demonstrate that topical use of Lumixyl™ visibly improves mild to moderate hyperpigmentation with excellent volunteer satisfaction in as little as 8 weeks".

In addition to its efficacy, Lumixyl™ is the only skin brightener to offer all of the following benefits in a single product:

  • Non-irritating or allergenic
  • Non-toxic
  • Safe for all skin types
  • Safe for prolonged use
  • Easily degraded by the skin
  • Will not increase skin’s sensitivity to the sun
  • Stabilized so that it will not lose potency or turn brown after opening
  • A luxurious, moisture-rich texture
Lumixyl is an easy to use four part system, that requires a pea size amount of product for each application.  For the last two months each night after cleansing, I used a small amount of Topical Brightening System ($120) on my spots. I did not care for  Lumixyl's Active Prep Gentle Foaming Cleanser ($58) and did not continue using it after the first night. Lumixyl can be used with other anti-aging products, that include retinoids and salicylic acids (phew).

In the morning, I apply GlycoPeel 20 Rapid Exfoliation Lotion ($60), which stings for about a half a second, due to the high concentration of glycolic acid, followed by Moisturize Lock Sunscreen SPF 30 ($58).  Moisture Lock Sunscreen has a luxurious texture and like many sunscreen products, a slight glimmering white sheen due to the primary ingredient titanium-dioxide.  I usually look to avoid this spf pitfall, but in the case of my "post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation", it actually was a plus, temporarily lightening the areas, prior to concealer(s).

After 8 weeks of use (optimal results at 16), I am nearly spotless and I will continue using Lumixyl until they are completely gone.  The absolute KEY to maintaining results, is the prodigious use of sunscreen or very quickly you will be back to spot one.

Here are my thoughts:  If you have a cleanser and sunblock with SPF 30 or higher that you are satisfied with, stick with them and save your money on these two.  The work horses are the Skin Brightener and Rapid Exfoliation Lotion.  Together at $180, it is not cheap or toxic, but is extremely effective and a little goes a long way.

So my lovelies, has P-I H ever happened to you? Does a non-toxic skin lightener and brightener appeal to you and are you willing to pay a premium for it?  Let me know!

xox
DD


31 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. I am very interested in this line of products. Is the Glycolic acid 20%? (I am assuming that for the name.) How do you think it compares with the Brazillian Peel at 30%?

    --Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,
    They are really two different animals. The Brazilian Peel is fabulous for an overall face brightener. The 30% glycolic is also mixed with other ingredients and is washed off after about 10 minutes.

    The Glycolic in this product is 20% but very pure and is meant to be left on. Lumixyl is really a system for removing spots and hyperpigmentation as a long term game plan.

    Hydroquinone can be prescribed for this purpose, but there is some concerns about effect on the liver. Lumixyl is not toxic, so it would be my preferred choice.

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. There are so many products out there. It starts to get confusing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so welcome! I have used prescription Hydroquinone with OK results. I found Lumixyl to be more effective and it is not toxic to the liver...always a plus!

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post. I used hydroquinone and my PIH got worse. I'm going to buy Lumixyl after reading this. :-) You're a pretty lady. I hope I look like you when I'm your age. My guess is you're 38 or 39 with really good skin. Blessings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Anon!
    You made my day. That ship sailed awhile back. I guess all these lotions and potions are doing something for me. Thank you for your kind words!

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a bunch for this review. I've tried so many products, pharmaceutical as well as expensive skin care products: Obagi, Tri-Luma, Skinceuticals, Hydroquinone 4%, Kojic Acid... (the list goes on) with no real success where my hyperpigmentation is concerned. I may give this a try since it appears you have nice skin.
    Cheers,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,
    This is definitely the most effective spot remover I have ever used. You have to be patient and do it as directed, but the way I look at these things, the time is going to pass anyway, so why not dig in and get started!

    It was frustrating to do a treatment and end up worse than when I started. At this point my hyperpigmentation is almost completely gone.

    Hope you have success too! Let me know.

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    Very interested. Did you have any redness or dryness/peeling when using this product?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hannah,
    I didn't, but my skin is pretty hardy. I don't think you will have any problems with the nightly brightener. They daily glycolic peel is a 20% strength and is a little tingly. If your skin is delicate or sensitive, it might cause some dryness or peeling.

    Honestly, I couldn't be happier. This one is a winner. Even since I wrote this last week, I continue to see improvements.

    Thanks for checking in!

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'll give this a try. I used the Clinic Spot Remover but with zero success--bummer. Maybe my skin will like the ingredients in Lumixyl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I know the name of the daily glycolic peel 20% that you use

    ReplyDelete
  13. The 20% glycolic peel is Lumixyl, as described in this blog. I only used it on dark spots, followed by spf 30.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi
    Very interesting article and a good read. Yes I think Lumixyl is very goog for treating pigmention.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbi,

    Thanks for the excellent review. Do you use any vitamin c products to help with skin lightening? I currently use obagi and I'm somewhat satisfied. My overall skin texture/complexion has improved dramatically, but the dark HIP spots are still there! I'm 26 and these dime sized HIP spots showed up on my face about 6 months ago. I plan on trying the two lumixyl products that you highly recommend. Just wondering if a vitamin c serum is also worth incorporating. Thanks for your advice!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      I truly think the Lumixyl is the best product I have used for hyperpigmentation. The spots I tackled last year have NOT come back! At the time I was not using any products with Vitamin C. I currently use two Murad products, Intensive C Radiance Peel, which is brilliant and I am currently using their Vitamin C serum. I think they are fabulous brighteners.
      I can't really comment about how they would work together with Lumixyl. You might want to contact them and pose the question.

      xox
      DD

      Delete
  16. Debbi,

    Also, do you use a tretinoin cream along with the lumixyl system? What strength? If you don't mind, could you describe your daily skin care routine and name all of the products you use? And also tell us how often you recommend getting facials, chemical peels, and other treatments?


    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowza! You got a few hours???!!!

    OK...deep breath.

    1. Morning and night I use my Clarisonic Mia for cleansing. Brilliant beyond, sorry I didnt start sooner

    2. At the moment I am using Glytone step-up cleanser mild gel wash. Love.

    3. Shortly I will be announcing that I am also Brand Ambassador to an amazing product called 3 Sisters Restorasis. I use that on clean skin twice daily. Info to follow!

    4. Next I always use a serum. At the moment I am using Murad's Active Radiance Serum. Its very good. Also am a huge fan of Lumene Premium Skin serum.

    5. I apply Cane+Austen's Protect spf 55 to any spots and under my eyes.

    6. I am also Brand Ambassador for La Peau Skincare. I have exclusively used their Day, night and under eye cream for nearly a year. Since that time I have used no trentanoids. It is truly FAB!!! I am currently not using Lumixyl because it got rid of my hyperpigmentation and it has NOT returned. YAY for that!

    6. On Friday night's I apply Dr. Gross's Alpha Beta Peel Self Tanner for the body everywhere including my face.

    7. Sunday mornings, I apply Murad's Intensive -C Radiance Peel for 10 minutes and then wash it off as directed.

    I get professional facials about 3 times a year.

    I am exhausted just typing this :)

    xo
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi thanks for the great review! I tried Clinique's dark spot corrector recently and like you stated, ended up worse : ( I wanted to know if I can use the lumixyl brightener alone without adding exfoliater? Or you strongly recommend both? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anon,
    Just to clarify; I've never used a lightening product that made the condition worse. What I have done is had spots removed and have been left with spots that were nearly as dark as what I had removed.
    Usually,they will fade with time, but Lumixyl helped speed things up. I think exfoliation is always key. I can only speak to my own results, and as a system it worked beautifully. That being said, if you are trying to do this more economically, you might be able to get away with a less expensive exfoliator...I just wouldnt skip this step :)

    xo
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diva, are you still using Lumixyl line? Was hyperpigmentation mild to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's good stuff. I have some left over and use it on the sun damage on my shoulders in the back. I do think the best lightener I have found, however, even better than prescription, is Murad's Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum. Quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read another review that once you spot using the product, the age spots come back within a month or two!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have to be very, very diligent to stay out of the sun and use sunblock everyday, otherwise they will come right back!!!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I ve PIH which is quite dark resulted from laser burns :( it used to b dark spots caused by acne lesion. N now I'm back to zero. I'm looking for a good topical solution online n discover lumixyl. I'm interested. I ve also come to know bout another brand called meladerm by civant. Hav u heard of it before? Hav u compare result from Both of this two brands?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there!
    Im so sorry that happened to you. So frustrating to have a problem added to one you were hoping to solve.

    I am unfamiliar with Meladerm, so I can't comment on it. Were you able to read any reviews about it? I can tell your from experience that both Lumixyl and Elure (which just won a prestigious Allure Award) are highly effective products that have undergone rigorous, documented testing.

    Much good luck,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Diva!!
    It has been like 2 years since you first used Luminex. I am about to use it as it is the best product out there for hypopigmentation, they said.....
    but, do you still think it is?? since you are always looking what is out there??
    Please let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anon,
    Lumixyl is a good product, but I have stayed loyal to Murad's Rapid Age Spot and Skin Lightening Serum best of all.

    Thanks for checking in!

    xo
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi DivaDebbi,

    I had a moderate acne for many years and when finally cleared up, im left with a lot of post acne marks as well as some sunspots.
    To clear the dark marks, i used Murad's Rapid Age Spot and Skin Lightening Serum and it was very effective due to its 2% hydroquinone.
    Then my acne attacks again and this time i used Obagi Clear (4% hydroquinone) and it has been as effective too.

    So my question is, have you tried Obagi Clear?
    Did your pigmentation came back after using the Murad one?
    Do u still think the Murad one is still the best for u now and r u using another product for hyperpigmentation currently?

    Sorry for the super lengthy comment, i hope u can advice me as i am terrified of these hyperpigmentation and religiously use sunscreen. Appreciate ur reply and thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Nat,
    Thanks for your post. I have not tried Obagi Clear. Is it available at retail? I have continued to stick with Murad and it still works well for me. I thought I had saved a note of a new prescription cream that is hydroquinone free and effective. I'm seeing my Derm Friday and will inquire. I often find that prescription strength is really the gold standard. I will update!

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looking forward to your update, thanks for the reply! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...