The Clock Stops Here...

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Mary Jane Denzer April 11 1932- December 16, 2015

DivaDebbi and Mary Jane Denzer

Just before Christmas, the retail world lost a legend. Mary Jane Denzer, the doyenne of the eponymous women's luxury store that bore her name for 35 years in White Plains, N.Y., died of pancreatic cancer. Sadly, she was diagnosed last year, 2 months after opening a new, magnificent 5,000 square foot location that bore her imprimatur of modern elegance.

Mary Jane and I have enjoyed a professional friendship for many years. She always greeted me with warmth and cheer, even if, technically, we were competitors.  Every time I walked into her store, it was a visual feast; her impeccable eye and stunning displays never failed to delight me. Mary Jane had flawless taste and would cherry pick only the cream from the best designers, from the world over. The result was a dazzling array of the prettiest frocks, ever assembled under one roof! As such, Mary Jane Denzer became a tri-state destination for women who love beautiful clothes, particularly, when they need them for events and memorable occasions.

Mary Jane Denzer, White Plains NY
Renaissance Square adjacent to the Ritz Carlton





Over the years, I have recommended many clients to Mary Jane Denzer and often accompanied them, where Mary Jane or her right hand Anastasia Cucinella would graciously assist us. Mary Jane also came to my rescue on several occasions, when I had "fashion emergencies", generously allowing me take merchandise out on approval to help solve my client dilemma's, (one day to be revealed when I pen my memoirs from the fashion trenches.)

When I last visited, Mary Jane was hosting an evening to benefit the Red Cross Ball,  which will be held in the Spring of 2016.  Committee members and guests had the opportunity to try on beautiful gowns for the event, with a percentage of any purchases going directly to the charity.


I also couldn't help but be enchanted by the gorgeous display of Diana Vreeland Fragrances. Inspired to continue his grandmother's legacy of style, her grandson Alexander and a small coterie of top noses from the International Flavors & Fragrances have created 8 mysterious and romantic fragrances. Not surprisingly,  Mary Jane Denzer was one of a handful of elite U.S. retailers chosen to offer it. I had a ball sampling and sniffing my way through all of them. 

Long lasting and intoxicating, I think I have finally found my signature fragrance in, "Devastatingly Chic". Hallelujah! I have only been searching for one, for most of my adult life.

As we said our goodbye's and I thanked Mary Jane for hosting a lovely evening, I recognized a whiff of "Simply Divine".  And believe me, she was...

My condolences to her 4 children, her 3 step children, her 8 grandchildren, her numerous friends, many clients and devoted staff. Mary Jane lead a well lived and accomplished life. She will be remembered and she will be missed. Rest in Peace my friend.

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...