The Clock Stops Here...

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

MenSwear


Is Men's Fashion and oxymoron? I think so...Really, does anyone give a rat's patootie whether George Clooney is wearing a tux, from Kiton of Napoli or the Men's Wearhouse, to the Oscars???...Can we tell the difference anyway??? If I had my druthers, men would be recused from presenting duties at all awards shows. Their presence, is a frustrating distraction from my job of seeing whose stylist, will have a job , in the morning.

Today's N.Y. Times, included fashion coverage of the Men's shows in Milan. It occurred to me, that I would rather stick pins in my eyes, than read about it...never have never will. It is not that I don't appreciate a stylish, expensively dressed man. Believe me, I worship him...It's just that men's styles change not by seasons, but by decades. I think this is a bit unfair business, considering we are required to study, pre season, just so we don't look hopelessly dated after 6 months.

With the exception of evening wear, most women's clothes do not have a 5 year shelf life. Whatever style you think will come back, may come back, but with enough differences to render your relic hopelessly dated...not so for the boys. (If you need further proof, look at this 1968 photo of Faye Dunaway and Steve McQueen, from one of my favorite films, the original Thomas Crown Affair). It has taken 40 years for men's suits to evolve to their current trim incarnation. On this timeline, we wont be seeing the return of vent less, broad shouldered, full pant, "Armani" style suits, until 2050. On top of that, it will be priced exactly as it was, while we girls will pay our usual double, plus inflation...but that's a whole other rant. Don't get me started...

xox,
Dd

4 comments:

  1. Ummm...you misspelled Napoli. And trust me you can surely tell the difference between Kiton and Men's Warehouse. Take it from a man who wears Kiton, me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing the typo to my attention! Believe me, I think Kiton is the FAR better way to go if you are the wearer, it's just us girls watching the comings and going on the red carpet cant tell the difference. Long live the beautifully dressed man!

    xox,
    Dd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divadarling! How fun that guys are reading your blog!As a menswear maven, let me assure you that there is some fine stuff out there for the guys,The ones with the moxie to wear it!
    Xxx
    Loren

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...