The Clock Stops Here...

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

May 8th World Ovarian Cancer Day

May 8th is World Ovarian Cancer Day. Laura Mercier wants to help fight this deadly disease and continue to do so through the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund.

This cause is very near and dear to the hearts of Laura Mercier, and the company’s President and CEO, Claudia Poccia. Both women have been personally touched by the disease – Laura through a dear friend, and Claudia through her sister.

Ovarian cancer has long been a part of my own life.  As a hereditary breast cancer survivor with familial history of both breast and ovarian cancer in my family, I am well versed on why this disease is often known as, "the silent killer"

The reason  is simple and sad.  The symptoms of ovarian cancer are vague and mimic things that women don't associate with gynecological problems, like back pain, bloating and frequent urination to name a few.  Women often lose precious time seeking treatment from Chiropractors, Gastroenterologists and Urologists. By the time they see their Gynecologist, (who will then recommend them to an Gynecological Oncologist), their cancers are often in advanced stages.

Please read the information below to familiarize yourself with symptoms and factors that may elevate your personal risk, it could be life saving.  Please share it:

There is no screening method for early detection for ovarian cancer. Research shows that  women with ovarian cancer often report having the following symptoms: 
  • A swollen or bloated abdomen, increased girth.  Some women notice that their pants or skirts are getting tight around the waist. The bloating is a sign that fluid, called ascites, is building up in the abdominal cavity in later stage disease
  • Persistent pressure or pain in the abdomen or pelvis 
  • Difficulty eating or feeling full quickly
  • Urinary concerns, such as urgency or frequency
  • Change in bowel habits with new onset constipation and/or diarrhea
  • Unexplained vaginal bleeding

Any woman may have these symptoms for reasons not related to ovarian cancer.  However, if these symptoms are new and unusual, and persist daily for more than two weeks, a woman should see her doctor, preferably a gynecologist, and should ask about ovarian cancer.  

Factors that may increase the risk of ovarian cancer:
  • Family history of cancer: Women with a grandmother, mother, daughter or sister with ovarian cancer are at higher risk for the disease. Women with a family history of cancer of the breast, uterus, colon or rectum may also have an increased risk of the disease.
  • Strong family history of cancer of the ovary or breast: Several women in a family having ovarian or breast cancer, especially if it occurs at a young age, is deemed a strong family history for cancer, accounting for 10% of OvCa cases. What is responsible for the remaining 90 percent of ovarian cancer is unknown. OCRF supports research to find out why cancer occurs in certain women and not others. 
  • Personal history of cancer or endometriosis: Women who have had cancer of the breast, uterus, colon or rectum have a higher risk of ovarian cancer.  Having endometriosis increases the risk of clear cell and endometrioid ovarian cancers by 2-3 fold
  • Age over 55: Most women are over age 55 when diagnosed with ovarian cancer
  • No pregnancies: Older women who have never been pregnant are at increased risk
  • Menopausal hormone therapy: Women who take estrogen by itself, without progesterone, for 10 years or more may have an increased risk of ovarian cancer, studies suggest.

Here are three more ways you can get involved on World Ovarian Cancer Day:

  1. Give a Gift that Gives Back: Mother’s Day is just days away and Laura Mercier cosmetics donates 100 percent of the profits from the sale of Bonne Mine Healthy Glow for Face & Cheeks Crème Colour Palette to the Fund. Or pick up the NEW limited edition teal ‘strength’ votive candles from

2.   Spread the word online and offline: Talk to your friends and family members about what you’ve learned. You can join the Speak Out for Hope conversation online by following @LauraMercier on Twitter and Instagram and use #LMOCF, #SpeakOutForHope to support this important cause. Visit the Stories of Hope Gallery on the Laura Mercier Facebook page for inspiring messages from our community.

 3. Donate: Consider a direct donation to LMOCF to continue our mission to raise awareness and fund research and educational efforts that will help diagnose, treat and support women with ovarian cancer.

Laura Mercier Bonne Mine Healthy Glow Palette for Cheeks and Face
$48/ 100% of proceeds go directly to the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund

Please join me in fighting a terrible foe.  We have made fantastic strides in the prevention and treatment of breast cancer. Sadly, ovarian cancer lags far behind...


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...