The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, August 16, 2010

Eat, Pray and Run

A little off topic today Girls, but I would feel remiss not to warn you share this with you...I generally take weathermen and film critics edicts with a grain of salt.  Yesterday's plan was  a day of lounging at the pool, with the latest magazines and my Mom.  Since the promised blue skies never materialized, it seemed the perfect day to go see Julia Roberts playing Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love ...not even the luscious Jarvier Bardem could get us through Bali.

I never read Liz Gilbert's memoir of whining self discovery in distant lands, though I know many who did and found it quite enjoyable.  EPL starring the enchanting Julia Roberts, as a woman in the throes of a pre-mid life crisis, was my idea of a great chick flick. Julia, is an old fashioned movie star.  She lights up the screen and you can't take your eyes off of her.  In EPL,  they make sure you never do...she is literally, in every frame.  I'm pretty sure they must have filmed her in the loo in Naples, but someone had the smarts to say basta!!! and left it on the terracotta cutting room floor.

Thankfully, I took a long catnap in India, so I  missed  most of the talented Richard Jenkins, playing a cliched American running from his booze soaked past.  By the time "Liz" gets to get some in Bali, after meeting Javier, cute, the way they always so in books movie, my Mother and I were nursing bed sores from sitting so long.  I wanted to catapult over five rows and make my dash for the exit, but Mother prevailed, with a cooler head as we bobbed and weaved to the stairs and ducked across the length of the screen.  Fortunately, no one pelted us with anything, as they nursed their envy.

I still haven't read the reviews.  I truly wanted to love this film and I doubt anything could have deterred me from seeing it.  I don't know if I will deter you either, but let's just say I gave it my very best shot.

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...