The Clock Stops Here...

Sunday, September 27, 2009

September's Slippery Beauty Slope


I hate September. Highlights need to be toned down, hair goes limp, tans (that we are not supposed to have in the first place) fade, nails crack, colds emerge and don't get me started on trying to figure out how to get dressed in the morning.

My sister Loren called me the other day, to inform me that Vogue says perms are back..."Aren't you ever going to Blog about your perm"??? "Must I tell everything", I snarled. "Well, perhaps you should, at least as a cautionary tale".

This on the morning that I showed up at my hairdresser Billy's salon, insisting that he lop 3 inches off the bottom, bluntly, 10 days after just having it cut. I am in the throws of the mid-season uglies.

Once upon a time, (in September, naturally), we were both single and living in New York. I decided my hair needed a little oomph, and despite having a ton of it, with a natural wave, decided to get a perm.

Loren called me up to find out how it turned out..."Well, I don't know", I replied.

"Whaddya mean, you don't know"???

"I am afraid to look in the mirror".

"Don't be ridiculous. How bad can it be??? I am coming right over".

Of course she was right, truly, how bad could it be??? Nothing like an older sister to bolster your confidence. I prepared some tea and waited for Loren to arrive, brimming with new found hope...

Shoulders squared, I opened the door--- which Loren promptly fell through laughing...When she regained her composure, she greeted me thusly..."Hel-lo VAGINA HEAD". Which started her peels of laughter all over again.

Be-atch!!! Despite her glee, she certainly had a point. Whatever possessed me and how would I recover from this??? Not quickly, I assure you.

So... as a cautionary tale, before you cut, color, straighten or God forbid perm, consult an expert, query a friend and take a good long look in the mirror.

Take it from me, 8 months is a long time go without looking.

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...