The Clock Stops Here...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Have What She's Having!


Though I had mixed feelings about Cate Blanchett's Oscar frock, my feelings about her radiant beauty never waivers.  No one else looks like Cate and in true "movie star" fashion, when she is on screen, you simply cannot take your eyes off of her.  Cate Blanchett has been the celebrity spokesperson for the Japanese Skin Care line SK-II for the last several years.  The back story, is that she was first devoted to the line and then approached to represent it.  Days after the Oscar's, (where she was universally lauded for her elegant makeup and hair), I was contacted by SK-11.  Every Red Capet article I have ever read about Cate, starts with priming her skin with her secret weapon, SK-11 Facial Treatment Essence. 

'Might you be interested in sampling it'?  "YES,YES, YES!!! I replied while bowing, scraping and pinching myself at my good fortune...

SK-II also has an interesting back story..."SK-II Pitera was discovered by chance over 20 years ago by a Japanese monk visiting a sake brewery.  He noticed that the workers had elderly faces yet extraordinarily smooth hands.  He was determined to discover why.  After many experiments, he identified SK-II Pitera, a clear nutrient-rich liquid which, due to its seemingly age-defying properties,  has become known around the world as "the Secret Key to beautiful skin ".  The SK-II Ritual combines Pitera with the latest advances in science to promote the natural renewal process of the skin's outer layer resulting in clearer, smoother and wonderfully radiant skin".

If this doesn't sound like a modern day Ponce de Leon discovering the Fountain of Youth, I don't know what does.  The only question  is if I can bathe in the stuff.  From what I can discern from digging around on the Internet, Pitera is a form of yeast.  (Suffice to say, as long as the application is external, I have no issue with it). I couldn't wait for my Treatment Essence to arrive!!!

It is best applied on clean skin, morning and night.  It has a cool, watery consistency, like most toners and is alcohol and color free. There is no "added" fragrance, which is too bad  but it does have an unusual smell.  Fortunately, it dissipates almost immediately.  I guess that is the 90% pure Pitera. It is recommended to pour into your palm, rub them together and pat firmly all over your face.  O.K. so I feel like the Aqua Velva man, no biggie.

SK-II does leave your face hydrated and supple.  It is a perfect start as a primer for makeup.  I have been using it for two weeks.  Ideally, results are seen after 28 days, which is how long it takes the skin's outer layer to renew.  Listen Girls,  I try a lot of products, but I must tell you that I am IMPRESSED.  My skin  is radiant and glowing, my pores look more refined, freckles and age spots have lightened and I am using it very sparingly.  SK-II is expensive.  It is offered in 3 sizes ranging from $100 to $195.  Allure's Beauty Editor's voted it The Best Splurge of 2009.  If you can swing it, I would.

All of this feels so superficial,  knowing the suffering and fear that the citizens of Japan are enduring in the wake of Sunday's earthquake and Tsunami.   Another aspect of the devastating fallout will be its shaken economy...particularly the luxury sector.  I won't be glib and say your support of SK-II will help this ravaged country, while your skin improves, but in reality...it  won't hurt either.  For more information about how the American Red Cross is aiding Japan and to make a donation, please click the link.

Thoughts and prayers to all of those effected by this catastrophe.

xox,
DD

8 comments:

  1. I adore Cate Blanchett - and as you know I actually did like her Oscar dress. Her skin is amazingly radiant and if it has anything to do with SK-II - count me in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it too Q...until I saw the back! No matter. Cate is a Goddess. I am so happy I received this to try. It does seem that a little goes a long way, which considering how pricey it is, is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for providing a link to the Red Cross. I live in Southern California--earthquake country--and have lived through several 7's with the resultant jittery nerves and sometimes damage to my home. I can't even begin to imagine what a 9 is like. The Japanese are such a stoic people, but they need our help desperately. Anyone who has seen the pictures knows that it's freezing there. People are cold and food is getting scarce. The fastest way to get the money where it will do the most direct good is to go on-line to the Red Cross. Large or small, any donation is a blessing and will do good.

    As for the SK-II, I just ordered it and can hardly wait to try it. Of course a large part of Kate's beautiful skin is genetics, but even the best complexion won't last long if it is continually abused or neglected. SK-II is obviously giving her skin what it needs with beautiful results, so I'm all for trying it. By the way, it is still triple points time at Nordstrom's which is now carrying SK-II :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome Eileen!
    I know there are a lot of ways to donate at this point, but I felt completely confident donating through the Red Cross. I have family in So Cal, and I panicked as soon as I heard the news about Japan. It is a beautiful lifestyle out there, but scary to carry around in the back of your mind that a catastrophe of major proportions is a very real possibility.

    I hope you will also see the benefits of SK-II Treatment Essence! Glad you got triple points too for your purchase. I am running out of Josie Maran Argan Primer, which I like to mix in my hand with my foundation. I'm thinking of trying the Treatment Essence for this purpose.

    Thanks so much for your post!

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great review. I have always wanted to try this too but wanted to hear it works from someone reputable.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much. I have been wanting to try this even though 'experts' like Paula Begoun say the hype is unwarranted. I'm ordering a bottle from Nordstrom to see for myself - thanks to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean,
    Thank you for the nice compliment. I hope you will like it as much as I do...

    Katie, I have Paula Begoun's book and I think she is a good source, but not infailable. I have agreed and disagreed with many of her reviews. Like everything else, it is subjective.
    I hope you will like your purchase. I would definitely start out with the smallest bottle, just to be sure!

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  8. SK-II is a Procter & Gamble brand, accoridng to the wikipedia page on "SK-II". It in no way somehow helps Japan by buying it. Just saying.
    I am fortunate enough to have received some full-size samples from a friend who works at Saks 5th. I will certainly use them up if I like them, but for the price...the truth is that it is over-priced....WAY over-priced, for what you get. Paula Begoun as well as anyone, especially the folks at P&G and all other beauty companies, understands that marketing really makes the product. Splurge but remember at the end of the day, how many people are coming through your bathroom/bedroom to see what you're face lotion is, when reputable experts say Oil of Olay Regenerist is formulated just as well? If you want to show off your splurge, put it toward something you can show off a bit better, that's my strategy :-) !!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...