The Clock Stops Here...

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cracking the Code to the Perfect Fake Tan

Sally Hansen Airbrush Sun
$15.99 in Greenwich, cheaper
everywhere else.
It only took 30 years or so of trial and error, but at last, it's done...

Sally Hansen Airbrush Sun is not to be confused with Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs.  The former is an instant self tanner, that also continues to develop. Nicely, it is also intended blur imperfections.  The latter is a temporary spray that also does the same, (think body makeup, Tots and Tiara's, you get the idea.)

Airbrush Sun only comes in two shades, Light-Medium and Medium-Tan. Fair skin Girls could stop reading now...They forgot about you, but I didn't!

Naturally, I gravitated to the darker of the two, Medium-Tan. When I used it the next morning, I found it to be the color and consistency of a Jello Chocolate Pudding Snack.


My beloved  Holy Grail
Burt's Bees Radiance Body Lotion
$8.99
Ruh Roh.

The first time I used it I knew I was in trouble.  It was too dark, streaky, difficult to apply and I was worried my hands might be henna colored for a week--I had to scrub like a surgeon to remove it.
My epiphany set in upon my recent return from Puerto Rico.  (I am one of those people who gets tanner, the longer they are back.)  I have not sunned with abandon in many, many years, but after the endless NY winter we had, I went for it, bikini clad and without a hat.

It felt delicious and let me tell you...I loved every moment.

It reminded me of my youthful, lazy days at Jones Beach, when my sister Loren and I would race to beat each other to the shower so we could compare who got tanner in a full length mirror. (Me of course, she's fairer, but fear not, Loren has China Doll hair and looked fabulous at the beach while I tamped down a mass of frizz all day.)

I decided to mix a 50/50 concoction of Sally Hansen Air Brush Sun and Burt's Bee's Radiance Lotion in my hands, which I then applied to my face and body.

Voila!!!  A thin, easy to apply golden color, that did not streak, added instant glow and (used daily after showering), enhanced my natural tan for a week.

I would suggest buffing over knees, elbows and ankles with and old dry wash cloth, just to pick up an excess that may have settled into nooks and crannies.

As well, unlike some self tanners that heighten the color of every freckle and sun spot, and can make you look like a Palm Beach octogenarian, this truly does blur everything so your skin appears more even toned and flawless.

Genius???

Um...yes I will cop to that.

So my lovelies, we know I'm just a tad beauty crazed, but if you follow my lead on this one, I know you won't be disappointed. Fairer skins might even have success blending the lighter shade this way to achieve a natural looking tan.

Do let me know your results...It's a lifetime achievement...

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...