The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Young and the Restless

In the last few months, I've been approached to share some thoughts and reflections on how I got myself mixed up in the lovely business of Personal Shopping and Blogging.  I don't know whether I'm relevant or a relic, but it's lovely to be asked.

Boop contacted me through the website Fashism.  At 19, Boop has got it... effortless styleShe is studying business, but is already dreaming about a career in fashion.  I have no doubt she will make it a reality:

Interview! - DivaDebbi: Personal Shopper and Fashion Blogger!

If you’ve been following you guys know I’ve been pretty much addicted to a few fashion sites, posting up photos everyday! Well I’ve met another user (through fashism.com) who goes buy the name of DivaDebbi. She’s posted a few comments on my photos and I generally like her advice, so after looking at her profile, I discovered she was a personal shopper as well as a fashion blogger!

Something much related to what I want to do in the future. I knew a few of my friends were also interested in Fashion Buying and Personal Shopping etc. So I decided to interview her about her career choice!

I also mentioned before that she was also a fashion blogger! Her website is www.divadebbi.com (divadebbi.blogspot.com) which is also published by Total Beauty, Glam Media and More.com. She also has a youtube channel, where she posts up videos on fashion tips and trends as well as reviewing and comparing beauty products. So take a look if you have time! Since I consider myself a fashion blogger, I had to ask her for some pointers as well :)

So enjoy!

1) How did you get into personal shopping?

DD: I was working for an exclusive specialty store in the accessories area. I noticed how many people would leave the store with expensive R-T-W, without all the finishing touches. I did a proposal and recommended that they have a Personal Shopper to be the liaison between the two floors…money was literally walking out the door! They loved the idea, but not me for the job! (The reason why, today, would have been considered out and out discrimination). Naturally, I had to leave. I was seething! I called Linda Lee at Macy’s By Appointment and asked for an interview. She hired me on the spot, to be their first Designer Consultant. Everything happens for a reason Girls!

2) What tips do you have for young aspiring personal shoppers/fashion bloggers?

DD: You have to be willing to start at the bottom and work your way up, cliche but true. No one is going to hand over a plum job to someone without experience and a clientele. In terms of Blogging, find your own voice, Blog often. Be courteous to everyone who reaches out to you. Leave comments on sites that you love. Both the readers and the Blogger will take notice of you, if your comments are relevant.

3) What do you get most out of your fashion blogging websites?
DD: Immediate, digestible, usable information.

4) What fashion websites would you recommend?

DD: I read all the majors often; Vogue, Elle and Harpers Bazaar. I also like Fashioning, Fashionista, StyleList, Style.com and Think Thru Fashion


5) What piece of clothing would you consider essential for winter?

DD: I have a coat obsession. It’s an essential for winter that I never skimp on. If you are wearing a drop dead coat, you can cheat with a lot well styled basics underneath. Everyone will assume the rest of the cake is as good as the icing.


6) What is the current trend you’re obsessed about?

DD: Capes. I have always loved dramatic wraps. Capes look so chic and there is something to be said about being able to use your arms.

7) Whats your secret to a timeless outfit?

DD: A classic silhouette that best flatters your body. I wore a Valentino black silk jacquard, scallop lace trimmed pencil skirt, with a sleeveless black knit Alberta Ferretti top, to an opening recently. The top was new but the skirt was 12 years old. Women wanted to rip it off my body…maybe the men did too!

8) What/who is your current inspiration in terms of fashion?

DD: Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. Pitch perfect, everytime.


Carla Bruni-Sarkozy - Singer, ex-model and First Lady of France

9) Favorite Designer?

DD: Gilles Mendel. A genius. No one nails modern, femininity like he does.

- J. Mendel Spring RTW 2011


10) Favorite Collection from Spring 2011 RTW Fashion Week?

DD: Besides J.Mendel, which takes my breath away, I loved DVF’s collection, which was styled with Frenchman Yvan Mispelaere, who hails from Gucci. It has never been more polished, sophisticated and sexy. I literally wanted every piece. A knockout.



Diane von Furstenberg Spring RTW 2011
Hope you guys liked it :) I found it really helpful and kinda uplifting :) haha studying business has pretty much put my hope in finding a job in fashion at an all time low. Thanks to DivaDebbi  for your answers :)

Don’t forget to check her out!!!

Boop
Fashion, Life, Food and Moments

And don't forget to check Boop out!  Love her energy and style.  http://boop1304.tumblr.com/post/1434570908/want-3-christmas-present-between-friends-hint

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...