The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, October 13, 2008

Aging Wisely


I had a wonderful early Birthday brunch, with an old roommate. I cherish my long time friends, since in many ways, we, "grew up" together. 5 years in a one bedroom apartment, in N.Y.C. is nearly a lifetime.

L. and I were polar opposites, she was uber Felix, to my, "sorry I left some crumbs in the toaster". L. was fiscally responsible and content in jeans and sneakers, while I mortgaged my soul to buy my first fur coat, barely meeting my end of 6 months rent.

We knew we were in it for the long haul, when our bathtub/shower stall backed up one morning...plunger less, we had to make do. I can't remember which one of us entered each others 6 inches of scummy, grey, still muck, but I think I may still have crust on my ankles.

To our astonishment, we did, find husbands, have children and moved to the burbs. We have both changed in many ways, all of them for the better.

I love that she enjoys my blog, and thought to purchase a gift that would enhance it;, an 1167 page beauty tome, "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" (7th edition), by Paula Begoun. It is chock full of no nonsense product reviews, definitions and comparisons. She also debunks many of the myths behind the marketing rhetoric, I want to believe in, as much as the Easter Bunny.

Interestingly, she does not mention the new industry of Beauty Bloggers and websites, like Totalbeauty, that are also wearing her shoes as a, "Cosmetic Cop".

Naturally, I couldn't wait to see what she thought of my faves...Paula is a stickler for alcohol and SPF 15+, that must also block UVA rays. If you have it or don't, you are on her short list. I checked her take on my night cream, day cream, glycolic pads, make up remover cloths, neck serum, face serum and current mascara...frowny faces on all!!! What are the odds???

If I love her lesser list, am I in store for a whole new me, with her picks??? Time will tell. If this book is as reliable as my friend L., the best is yet to come.

xox,
D.

1 comment:

  1. This book has saved me from purchasing a lot of products that just are not worth it. I was shocked to find out that my daytime spf lotion did not have adequate sun protection. I hope in her next edition, she covers more organic lines. This book is worth every penny! I also like the ingredient dictionary at the back and her "best of" lists.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...